Background: As of May 24, 2017, BigCommerce began offering all stores that have a custom domain access to a dedicated SSL Certificate. For Springbot to track individual marketing actions (i.e. post to Facebook) and attribute the results to a specific store, each customer must have a dedicated SSL Certificate. Without a dedicated SSL Certificate, customers will not see marketing channel attribution (AdRoll, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Triggered Emails, Email Campaigns, etc) or individual marketing action attribution.
What is an SSL certificate?
A Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate verifies that a secure web page (like a checkout page) is properly encrypted, ensuring that all information passed between a user and the site is private. Having an encrypted store helps boost your conversion rate by increasing shopper confidence.
What is a custom domain?
To start, all new BigCommerce stores are given a .mybigcommerce.com subdomain (ex. springbot.mybigcommerce.com). While you are free to use this domain indefinitely, you will want to research and purchase a custom domain for your store (ex. springbot.com).
Use BigCommerce’s free dedicated SSL certificate
All BigCommerce stores with a custom domain (e.g. mybcstore.com) installed after May 24, 2017 are automatically outfitted with a free, dedicated SSL certificate called Encryption Everywhere.
Stores with a custom domain installed before that date can also enable it at any time.
In addition to the free SSL certificate used by any BigCommerce store with a custom domain, BigCommerce also offers dedicated SSL certificates verified by GeoTrust at a premium rate.
The following types of SSL are available through BigCommerce:
Standard - GeoTrust QuickSSL® $59
Deluxe - GeoTrust QuickSSL® Premium $149
Premium - GeoTrust True BusinessID with EV $299
To install an SSL certificate, you will need to be logged in as the Store Owner.
1. In your BigCommerce control panel, go to Server Settings › SSL Certificate.
2. Click Purchase a new SSL. Please note, this is also the option you should choose if renewing an expired SSL certificate.
3. Click Buy Now at the bottom of the SSL certificate type you would like to purchase.
Click Compare SSL Plans to view and compare the details of each certificate type.
Click Biennial Pricing to show pricing for 2-year SSL certificate purchases, which are discounted.
4. Verify that your Bill To details are correct. If not, click Edit, enter your payment details, then click Submit.
5. Choose an Approver Email from the drop-down list of email addresses that have been preselected by your domain registrar, then click Confirm Purchase.
6. Within a few minutes, you will receive an email asking you to verify your contact and ownership of the domain. Once verified, your SSL certificate will be installed within 30 minutes. After this period, you will receive an email confirming that the installation has completed. Note that certain SSL certificates, such as SSL with EV, may take up to 10 days to process.
See below for steps to install your SSL Certificate once you have purchased: