SMS Keyword Marketing allows you to create a custom keyword and personalize the Welcome Response that subscribers receive when they text your keyword to subscribe to your keyword list.
What is a keyword?
A keyword is a word or phrase that contacts will text to sign up for your keyword list. The keyword you create will be unique to your store. Once you reserve a keyword, no other store using that short code can reserve the same keyword. People can subscribe to your keyword list by texting your keyword to your store’s short code. Example of a keyword: For more updates like this, text JOIN2020 to 85276 to join our SMS Marketing List!
Remember: Once you save your Keyword, you cannot change the Keyword or the Compliance Settings (the Welcome Response can be updated after you save). If you are unsure about what Keyword to choose during this process, you can always select “Finish Later” and come back once you have decided upon the right Keyword for your brand. If you have an SMS Campaign Scheduled with a Keyword that you delete, that campaign will automatically be Canceled. Any SMS Campaigns that are in Draft will need to have a new Keyword selected in order to be sent.
1: Store Settings Configuration
The initial setup begins on the Store Settings page. There are a few settings you'll need to configure to get started:
- Mobile Test Number: Here you can verify your mobile number to receive SMS previews. This number will not be visible to subscribers and is for preview purposes only. Once you submit your number and select Verify, you will receive an SMS Confirmation Auto-Reply requiring you to text YES to confirm you want to receive messages.
- Support Contact Method: When a subscriber texts Help + your custom keyword i.e., Help JOIN2020, they will receive an auto-reply that provides support information and your compliance message. Here you can select a support email or a support phone number.
- Support Phone Number or Email: Enter the phone or email information for subscribers to get in touch with you for support.
- Once you've filled out the information above, click Create Keyword to reserve your custom keyword.
2: Creating Your Keyword
When creating your custom keyword, consider the following tips:
- Store Name: Your Store Name will be used in several auto-replies (Welcome, Help & Stop) to remind contacts who you are.
- Description: The Description is used to let your SMS subscribers know what type of content you will be sending them. Descriptions like Promotions, Updates or Alerts all work great here!
- Message Frequency: You must determine how often you will be contacting your subscribers in a monthly period. Your message frequency i.e., (4 msgs/mo) will be included in your Compliance Message so subscribers can anticipate how often they will be hearing from you.
3: Compliance Message
A Compliance Message is required to be shown anywhere that you advertise your Keyword SMS Marketing Program. It is also automatically included at the end of every auto-reply.
There are several Compliance Message settings you’ll need to configure:
- Support Contact Method: When someone texts Help and your keyword to your short code, they will receive an auto-reply that provides support information. This information pre-populates with the Store Settings information you entered earlier, but can be changed on this step if needed.
- Terms of Service: In compliance with CTIA and TCPA Guidelines, certain terms and conditions must be listed within your compliance message for your SMS Marketing Program. We've made this easy by creating a dynamic landing page that includes your Keyword, Short Code, Business Name, Support, and Message Frequency information. This page is automatically generated. Terms of Service Landing Page Example
- If you'd like to manually add the necessary information to your own Terms of Service, you can do so and then replace your own link with the pre-generated link.
4: Creating Your Welcome Auto-Reply
Your Welcome Auto-Reply is the automated outbound message sent to users who subscribe to your keyword list. Your first impression is important, so remember to welcome your new subscribers with excitement and provide value! Your Welcome Auto-Reply is considered a Compliance Message and does not count towards your monthly send cap.
Your welcome auto-reply is an opportunity to thank new SMS subscribers for joining and offer a promo code or incentive. Remember to keep your welcome message short and valuable!
Dynamic Tags: This drop-down includes the Dynamic Tags that can be used within this auto-reply:
- [[store_url]]: Uses the Main URL of your Store field from your Store Settings.
- [[store_name]]: Uses Store Name field your Store Settings.
- [[coupon]]: If you add the [[coupon]] Dynamic Tag to your auto-reply, you also have to select the corresponding Unique Coupon Campaign. (Learn more on how to upload create Unique Coupon Campaigns here.) If you'd like to include a Static Coupon i.e.., HELLO10 or WELCOME5, you can type that in instead of selecting it from a Coupon Campaign.
You're all set! You've successfully created your keyword and welcome response. From here, you can send an SMS campaign, import subscribers, collect SMS subscribers via your sign-up form and view how many new subscribers you have for each of your keyword lists.
Viewing Your Keyword Lists and Subscribers
Once you've completed your keyword and welcome auto-response, you can view how many subscribers have opted-in by navigating to Campaigns > Lists. From here, scroll down to SMS Keywords and click into the keyword to see your new subscribers.
After Keyword Setup
Edit: Once you have created your Keyword, you can select Edit from the SMS Keywords section to edit the Welcome Response. Note: Once you have created a Keyword, you cannot change the Keyword, Store Name, Message Frequency or any compliance terms.
Copy Compliance Message: You can easily copy your Keyword’s Compliance Message directly from the SMS Keywords section. Don’t forget to include this anywhere you advertise your Keyword for Text-to-Join Campaigns.
Delete: You can delete a Keyword, however, this will delete any SMS subscribers you have in this Keyword List currently.
Adding Subscribers to Keyword Lists
Check out this article to learn how to manually add subscribers or import subscriber lists.
Learn More About SMS
Questions? Our team is here for you! If you need additional help, please drop us a line at email@example.com.