AdRoll Prospecting Campaigns are a key channel in a full-funnel marketing strategy. The goal is to drive new site visitors by showing web banner ads and Facebook ads to an audience of customers who have similar interests or similar demographics as your existing customer base.
To launch an AdRoll Prospecting Campaign, navigate to Ads > Ad Library and click Create Ads
Opt-in to AdRoll's Data Co-op
In order to create Prospecting Ads, you must agree to participate in AdRoll's Data Co-op program. Opting-in allows AdRoll to model audiences for you and other opted-in marketers based on information gathered from user's site activity. Click the link in the popup to learn more. You can visit Store > Integrations > AdRoll to opt-out.
Click Opt In to proceed.
Types of Prospecting Campaigns and Ads
After selecting Prospecting as your Campaign Type, select the type of Prospecting Campaign you would like to create:
- Lookalike campaign - this campaign will serve ads to similar users as your current customer base (website must have at least one hundred unique user emails in Springbot)
- Attribute campaign - this campaign will serve ads to users with specific demographics and interests
- Some of the available attributes include age, gender, sports and outdoor recreation.
Next you'll select which type of ads you’d like to run. Depending on your budget, you can select either Static Ads OR Dynamic Ads. Static Ads will show as web banner ads, native web ads, and Facebook newsfeed ads. Dynamic Ads will only show as web banners and native web ads, but the content of the ads will change for each individual user.
Finally, you'll need to schedule your ads by either creating a new Ad Group or adding them to an existing Ad Group. Click the Ad Group dropdown menu to see existing Ad Groups or type to enter a name for a new Ad Group.
If you are creating a new Ad Group, select a Start Date and Time and End Date and Time or check No End Date to keep this Ad Group active for the foreseeable future. Please note that all times are in the UTC timezone, which may differ from your local timezone.
Once all of the required fields have been selected, click Next to proceed.
Static Web & Native Ads
To create static web ads, upload complete ad images and fill in the Ad Name and Link URL. This is where your customers will go when they click on the ad. We recommend giving your ads a detailed name for clear reporting in the future. You can upload as many ads as you’d like, but we recommend uploading at least one ad in the following sizes:
We also recommend creating Native Ads. Native ads appear as a part of the design of the web page they’re on. Rather than standing out as an ad, native ads tend to have an editorial look and feel, with a softer selling approach. To create native ads, upload images in the following sizes:
Native ads also require the following text elements:
- Brand - the name of your business
- Title - 90 characters man, usually short, attention-grabbing headline for your ad
- Description - 140 character max, an opportunity to explain more about your brand or special promotional details.
Once you have entered all required ad elements, click Save & Next.
Static Social Ads
To create static social ads, upload as many images you wish in the following sizes: 600x315px or 1200x628px. Just like with web ads, images must be JPGs or PNGs, and must have a file size less than 150KB.
Static social ads require the following text elements:
- Text Headline - 90 character max, usually short, attention-grabbing headline for your ad
- Link Description - 200 character max - an opportunity to explain more about your brand or offer details
- Title - 25 character max -store name or secondary headline
- Call-to-action - select from the dropdown menu options
Dynamic Web Ads
Dynamic Web Ads pull in images of your most viewed and most clicked-on products from the last 14 days. These ads utilize a common theme across all ad sizes and are created all at once as a set. To create, you must enter an option for all fields listed on the page:
- Ad Name - typically something descriptive like the theme chosen for these ads
- Logo - a square or horizontal rectangle is best
- Call-to-action - select from dropdown menu options
- Color - select a primary color for your call-to-action button
- Theme - the overall template for your ads. New themes are added throughout the year so check back frequently to see seasonal options.
- Displayed Price - show the price of your products
- Promo Text (available for specific themes) - no more than 25 characters recommended
- End Date (available for Countdown Timer theme only) - select the final date to count down time remaining
Reviewing and Launching Your Campaign
Once you have uploaded all of your new ads, click next to reach the final Review step. On this page you will review your campaign set up, your selected ad groups, your budget, and your uploaded ads themselves. If you are ready to launch your campaign, click the checkbox to agree to our Terms and Conditions and click the Confirm and launch campaign button in the bottom right corner. This will launch your new ads in your campaign.
It can take 24 hours for ads to be reviewed and approved by AdRoll. When they are approved, their status will be updated in Ads > Ad Library. If you ads are rejected, please reach out to the Customer Success team for further information and next steps. AdRoll's AI will then automatically optimize your campaigns to drive the best performance for your store.
Best Practices for Prospecting Campaigns
- When creating an Attribute Campaign, carefully choose how many and which attributes you wish to target. Selecting too few could lead to an unfocused targeted audience. Selecting too many could lead to a very specific audience without enough data.
- We recommend running Static and Dynamic Prospecting ads for optimum performance, but you'll need to increase your budget appropriately to allow for both types.
- Keep in mind, prospecting ads are meant to introduce customers to your brand and encourage them to learn more, so get creative with imagery and headlines!
Once you've launched your campaign, check out this Prospecting Performance article!